Last week, I made my first practice cake for Charlotte's 1st birthday (it's less than 3 weeks away!). I am mainly focusing on the way the cake looks since I've never had any trouble making a boxed cake taste good.
Tonight, I made my second attempt. This time we are using Carrot Cake with a buttercream frosting between the layers and as a crumb coat around the rest of the cake. I've seen the pros on the Food Network Challenges do this, so I did it too.
Next, I added my cornflower blue dye to the fondant and put it on a cookie sheet to knead. I completely and totally underestimated how hard it would be to knead the fondant. I coated my hands and the sheet with confectioner's sugar, per the fondant box instructions.
I forgot to check my mom's cabinets for a rolling pin before I began this experiment and then when I did (after I dyed the fondant), I found she didn't have one. So, I improvised. The can of cooking spray did a fine job of rolling out the fondant, even if it did leave some marks from the base and from the lid.
Like an amateur cake decorator, I wrapped my fondant around the can of spray and then artfully laid it over the top of my cake.
Preparing the Fondant from Jennifer S on Vimeo.
This is what it looked like after the fondant was trimmed up and some minor smoothing took place.
Final Product from Jennifer S on Vimeo.
The cow and the moon are practice versions... I plan to do a much better job for the real cake.
After all that, Bruce and I both enjoyed a slice of cake with an ice cold glass of milk.